***** Krik! Music Corner ****
Read the showbiz news from ALL OVER the world

Interview : Annet Artani

By Krikor K.
Annet Artani is a Greek/American singer, with an amazing voice. She represented Cyprus at the Eurovision 2006 with the song "Why angels cry?"... Nowadays, she's in the USA enjoying her life and her new album which is about to be released. Already her first english song "Alive" is available on iTunes driving everyone crazy!!!

As she is experienced with the contest, Annet gave an interview to me telling some things about the Eurovision Song Contest, both Greek and Cypriot 2009 entries and of course about her...
Check it out...

01. First of all Annet i would like to thank you for accepting this interview...
Annet = No problem Krikor... I should thank you for asking me.

02. Let's start with some words about yourself
Annet = Well, i basically grew up writing and singing since i was a child, and did alot of talent pagents while i was in school that i won, and eventually found myself recording my own songs at 15 years old. Within a few years after winning a scholarship for songwriting from BMG, I studied music and go asked to tour with Britney and wound up writing the hit song "Everytime". When i was in La working as a songwriter and singing with Cyndi Lauper and Taylor Dayne, I was told about the Fame Story Auditons and wound up moving to Athens and stayed for almost 4 years. My fame via Fame Story and support and love from my Cypriot fans led me to compete to represent Cyprus Eurovision, which was one of my biggest honors!
(you can tell us some chilhood memories, first steps on singing...)

03. In Greece people know you basicly from the Fame Story 3. What memories do you have from there?
Annet = I remember feeling like I needed to just focus on being myself. i could see that some people were trying to provoke or impress, but i didnt want to be known as "that" girl. I wanted me to like me or hate me because that was their genuine opinion. I tried to tune out as much of the negativity I sensed from the other contestants by doing yoga, which made me look even weirder i think!, and focused on staying true to myself :0)

04. For what reasons did you left the academy?
Annet = I didnt have a choice. I was told that I had 20 min to leave OR sign a contract for about 7-9 years for management and contract, and I always wanted to come back home and have a career in the US, so committing to something for that many years sort of scared me.

05. How came the co-working with Britney Spears and her song "Everytime" which you composed?
Annet = After the Dream Within a Dream tour in which i sang backgrounds for her, we became friends and bonded over breaking up with our boyfriends.
So we sat down in her house and starting writing. It was a very cathartic moment to share with another girl who has gone through something similar.

06. Who asked you to sing "Why angles cry?" and take part in the Cypriot National Final for the Eurovision 2006?
Annet = The songwriter of Why Angels Cry, Petros Giannakis, asked me to compete within Cyprus, and i was lucky enough to win and go!

07. Can you tell us which was your first reaction after listening to the song?
Annet = I thought it was beautiful and meaningful.

08. Were you sure that the Cypriot audience would choose you and your song as the winning song of that night?
Annet = No. You can NEVER be too confident or too sure. I was just happy to be there!

09. Share with us your first thoughts after knowing that "Why angels cry?" is the Cypriot entry at the Eurovision Song Contest 2006...
Annet = I was crying from the excitment and i felt overwhelmed to be a Greek and not a Cypriot have to represent them with honor and pride. Its one of the most humbling moments of my life and I'm very grateful to have been chosen.

10. Can you also share with us your memories from Athens and Eurovision 2006?
Annet = Well, one thing i will not forget is being afraid of Lordi. They looked scary to me! One of the girls who sang with me kept trying to get me to take a picture with them and I didnt have the guts to, so i think I got close enough for her to snap one quickly! haha! I know...I was being a baby! Also, the moment I stepped foot on that stage and saw all those people, I wanted to cry. It was so emotional. And Im proud that i wore that yellow dress. It symbolized the struggles of the Cypriot people and I finally felt like I could represent them with honor after taking the time to know more about them, their history and their struggles.

11. Do you feel like having learned things in general for your life from the Eurovision?
Annet = I dont think you can walk away from that experience without having learned something. I learned that doing your best and having honor and pride in what you do is the most important thing of all.

12. How do you comment on your appearance in the semi final?
Annet = I like that i was simple and classy and I also liked that i wore yellow. Maybe I am not Cypriot, but I felt like I carried all of Cyprus with me in that song and was honored to wear that color!

13. Why, do you think, that the song did not make it to the final?
Annet = I was told a week before that I wouldn't make it to the final, btw. This is not something I ever told anyone. I know there was alot of political stuff involved and I also dont think its a coincidence that my song was NOT played in Greece.

14. Have you attend the final of the Eurovision?
Annet = No, i was in the recording studio :0)

15. Do you like Lordi's song which finally won the contest? Which other 2006 entries do you like?
Annet = I think Lordi had a great performance and a great stage show, and a good song. As for the other songs, i think some were great and others were not. But from what i see, its not about the song as much as it is about the performance and the elements of the showmanship. I did the best i could with a ballad about children dying and angels crying. it was a respectful sweet solemn song and I couldn't have performed it any other way without being disrespectful.

16. Is Annet generally a fan of the Eurovision Song Contest? Is there any song from the history of the contest which you like most?
Annet = I am a fan! ofcourse! And I dont want to be biased, but i LOVED My #1 by Elena Paparizzou because i think she and the whole concept was brilliant.

17. What did you do after the Eurovision?
Annet = I left Greece a year ago and I just released my first worldwide single with an American label! I'm very excited. In the coming weeks it will be going to radio internationally and so is the video!

18. Tell us about your brand new song "Alive" which is already loved by the fans...
Annet = Its sold thousands already and I am SO grateful for everyones support!!!! I had been in a bad relationship for a while and this song was written in Vancouver, Canada, during the time I was building up my strength to leave him. I didnt leave the relationship til a year later and the situation became much worse, and sadly, ended violently. The video touches on this subject as well, and Im hoping to send a message to girls everywhere that you shouldnt stay in a relationship with anyone who treats you badly EVER. So that video will premiere soon and I'm very proud to take a stand on that subject. A year ago i was crying and found myself in despair, and now I'm a new woman who has turned my life around. I feel very grateful for having music as my outlet and using that as my therapy and I hope this song does that for others as well.

19. Would you take part again at the Eurovision Song Contest?
Annet = Ofcourse i would!

20. What do you think about the Greek and the Cypriot entries for this year?
Annet = Well, I think Sakis is perfect for this contest, and he has proven himself to be a winner many times! As for Christina, i think she looks like an angel and its a very good song. My only concern is that Eurovision winners are usually more extroverted and explosive. And I think I learned this first hand! :0)

21. If you would responsible to choose someone to represent Greece at the contest, who would you suggest?
Annet = If it was up to me, I would hold a contest for NEW people. People who have NEVER gone before. People who are unknown talent and who would be grateful to be up there. I think that this shows unity and support towards the young talent within a country.

22. Annet, thank you so much for this interview. We wish you all the best for you life...
Annet = Thank you for asking me Krikor! Good luck to Greece and Cyprus this year! I will be watching all the way from NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oxAA~

www.youtube.com/AnnetTV
www.myspace.com/annetartanimusic

Krikor K.

You can enjoy some "Annet" below :

01. Annet's performance at the Eurovision 2006


02. Annet's first appearance in Greece : She sang "Endless Love" making everyone speechless by her voice while all the other contestants of the academy joked by leaving the studio after listening to Annet!!!


03. Annet singing "Without you" with another contestant during Fame Story 3


04. The song "Everytime" by Britney Spears is composed by Annet!!


05. Britney Spears performing "I'm not a girl not yet a woman". At 4:35 you can see Annet who is doing the backing vocals!!!

 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?